Within my broader research interest, the interplay between motivational and strategic determinants of conflict and negotiation behavior, his research focuses on two areas, namely (1) information exchange in interdependent decision-making, and (2) representative negotiation. My main research focus is ethical decision-making, with special attention to the role of motivational orientations. Additional research interests concern the role of reputation in negotiation and of social identity processes in intergroup negotiation.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Intergroup Relations
- Interpersonal Processes
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Organizational Behavior
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Koole, S., & Steinel, W. (2000). Unfixing the fixed pie: A motivated information-processing approach to integrative negotiation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 975-987.
- Steinel, M. P., Hulstijn, J. H., & Steinel, W. (2007). Second-language idiom learning in a paired-associate paradigm: Effects of direction of learning, direction of testing, idiom imageability, and idiom transparency. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 29, 449-484.
- Steinel, W., Abele, A. E., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2007). Effects of experience and advice on process and performance in negotiations. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 10, 533-550.
- Steinel, W., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2004). Social motives and strategic misrepresentation in social decision making. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 86, 419-434.
- Steinel, W., De Dreu, C. K. W., Ouwehand, E., & Ramirez-Marin, J. Y. (2009). When constituencies speak in multiple tongues: The relative persuasiveness of hawkish minorities in representative negotiation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 109, 67-78.
- Steinel, W., Utz, S., & Koning, L. (2010). The good, the bad and the ugly thing to do when sharing information: Revealing, concealing and lying depend on social motivation, distribution and importance of information. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 113, 85-96.
- Steinel, W., Van Kleef, G. A., & Harinck, F. (2008). Are you talking to me?! Separating the people from the problem when expressing emotion in negotiation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 44, 362-369.
- Steinel, W., Van Kleef, G. A., Van Knippenberg, D., Hogg, M. A., Homan, A. C., & Moffitt, G. (2010). How intragroup dynamics affect behavior in intergroup conflict: The role of group norms, prototypicality, and need to belong. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 13, 779-794.
- Van Dijk, E., Van Kleef, G. A., Steinel, W., & Van Beest, I. (2008). A social functional approach to emotions in bargaining: When communicating anger pays and when it backfires. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94, 600-614.
- Van Kleef, G. A., Steinel, W., Van Knippenberg, D., Hogg, M. A., & Svensson, A. (2007). Group member prototypicality and intergroup negotiation: How one's standing in the group affects negotiation behaviour. British Journal of Social Psychology, 46, 129-152.
- Van Kleef, G. A., Van Dijk, E., Steinel, W., Harinck, F., & Van Beest, I. (2008). Anger in social conflict: Cross-situational comparisons and suggestions for the future. Group Decision and Negotiation, 17, 13-30.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., Beersma, B., Steinel, W., & Van Kleef, G. A. (2007). The psychology of negotiation: Principles and basic processes. In A. W. Kruglanski & E. T. Higgins (Eds.), Handbook of basic principles in social psychology (2nd ed., pp. 608-629). New York: Guilford.
- De Dreu, C. K. W., & Steinel, W. (2006). Social decision-making in fuzzy situations: Motivated information-processing and strategic choice. In D. De Cremer, M. Zeelenberg, & J. K. Murnighan (Eds.), Social psychology and economics (pp. 55-77). New York: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Steinel, W. (2004). Misleading in social decision-making: A motivational approach. Unpublished dissertation, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Steinel, W., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (2002). Liegen en misleiden: De rol van eigen en anderman's sociale waarde oriëntatie [Lying and misleading: The role of own and other's social value orientation]. In D. A. Stapel, M. Hagedoorn, & E. van Dijk (Eds.), Jaarboek Sociale Psychologie 2001 (pp. 201-214). Delft, The Netherlands: Eburon.
- Social Psychology of Organizational Behavior
- Phone: +3171-527 3634
Social and Organizational Psychology
P.O. Box 9555
2300 RB Leiden